Location-Specific Services Since 1989
Training • Assessments • Planning • Testing
For over 25 years Cliff Holland, has seen, as well as cleaned-up spills from laboratories, transportations incidents and industrial sites. In 1980, Holland began his Waste Management career with a group of five companies that hauled, treated, transferred industrial waste, provided site remediation and 24/7 response services.
Training was on-the-job and based on the owner's accumulated knowledge since 1946, vacuum truck operators with 15 - 20 years of service, chemical engineers, chemists and first hand experiences.
Instructions were given in layman terms and improvised controls were established to get the job done. Ontario's Legislation has put renewed value on many 'Older Methods' used for handling time-critical-issues and adverse conditions.
Today, response starts with engineering controls, procedures, communication, respecting chemical properties and understanding their consequences. Spills that involve 'time-critical-issues' and 'overwhelming conditions', will quickly see Top Management in contravention of their duty 'to take all reasonable steps to prevent the corporation from discharging a contaminant' into the natural environment. (Ontario EPA, s.194; & the Ontario Water Resources Act, OWRA, s.116)
For Directors and Officers of small, medium and large organizations
Directors and Officers
Evaluate Response Challenges
- Environmental Management System
- Test / Practice Response Plans
- Location-Specific Training
Training & Certification
- WALKTHROUGH is conducted by key site personnel along with Cliff Holland of Spill Management to review locations where the likelihood of spills and releases is most-likely to happen.
- OBSERVATIONS are made from a Corporate Director's and Officer's perspective. (E.g. Preventive & preparedness measures, chemical risk factors, escalating conditions, scales of impact, response supplies and equipment for compliance and response capability.)
- RECOMMENDATIONS include: preventive measures, appropriate supplies and equipment, determination of course content, response procedures. Findings are communicated by;
- conversation during the walkthrough,
- a written 'Point form Report' if requested by the company or
- a 'Preparedness Assessment' with photo documentation.
- INSTRUCTORS use clear-language, teach "Need to Know Information" and use hands on exercises to demonstrate effectiveness and response capability.
- TRAINING meets the requirements of today's legislation by testing and training to site-specific conditions, potential spills, procedures and Environmental Management System (EMS).
- CERTIFICATION supports Top Management's commitment to the environment by being in compliance with Corporate Contingency / Emergency Response Plans and Registered (ISO 14000) or Non-Registered Environmental Management Systems (EMS).
||Modular Approach for Training and Response Capability Across Canada